Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Temptation to Forget

Every once and a while, I’ll have a day where I’ll sneak a Hershey kiss, an extra tablespoon of barbecue sauce, a squirt of Miracle Whip, or a little handful of almonds. I know that in that very instant, I’ve probably consumed a point, or a half a point at the very least…..but somehow I choose to leave it off my daily points table and “forget” about it. Only I never really forget. It always lingers in the back of my mind, and somehow I’m back to being 10 years old and have just gotten away with sneaking an Oreo from the cookie jar. I don’t feel joyous and triumphant because I cheated the system. I just feel….guilty. I’ll admit that the frustration I feel when I step on the scale and don’t see a loss is immensely profound. But rather than blame myself, it’s always easier to just blame the system. But today, I’m going to fess up. Because today I gained a pound, and I only have myself to blame. Yesterday, I did not count a handful of nuts or my Salad Spritzer dressing that I had for lunch. I ate 6 full-size carrots, and they surely were not 1 point. And my 1.5 cups of Honey Bunches of Oats was probably more like 2, but I wouldn’t know because I was too lazy to measure it!
So there. I’m guilty. Guilty of forgetting….intentionally

No comments: