Saturday, June 23, 2007

Pedal to the Metal

Or something like that.

Today was the 2nd training session, and we met at a gorgeous park by the ocean and sat through an inspirational session followed by a lesson on cycling safety, cycling tri rules, and technique. Then we hit the road for a 30 minute ride to work on form and cadence. I was pleased to see that my mountain bike with road slicks was in the company of a few other mountain bikes. All in all, I ended up towards the front of the back, in back of the road bikes (I did beat a couple) and in front of all the mountain bikers. Did 8 miles in 30 minutes without working up too much of a sweat or tiring out my legs…..apparently we have to get out of the “push it” phase, because after the ride, we still have to run. Gee, no wonder why my last triathlon in 2004 was such a nightmare. Why didn’t I think about this stuff?
One additional comment on the triathlon thing. Everyone should seriously consider it! My group is full of skinny minnies, regular girls, and even larger girls who are wearing the XXL wetsuits and workin’ them! Everyone is on an equal playing ground, and anyone can finish. It’s that easy. And what a great way to get out and enjoy the outdoors and meet new people — I can’t recommend it enough for EVERYBODY!!!

Anyways, what fun. DH and I headed up to a triathlon store afterwards and I bought my first wetsuit. And you thought a bathing suit was revealing– you should try a form-fitting triathlon wetsuit! Yikes! I ended up tricking the saleslady with my size. She put me in a larger size at first, but I ended up fitting perfectly into the smaller one. Woohoo!! Victory. I tell you, I may have little legs, but my stomach can be a beast. Thank goodness the tri suits are all about fit in the arms, legs, and hips.

I didn’t eat so well tonight. Had 2 fish tacos without the cheese or guacamole, and I didn’t succeed in resisting the chips and salsa. I’m not sure what I ended up at for the end of today, but it was probably pretty darn close to going over my points. Anyways, tomorrow is a new day. Bought some gorgeous peaches and tons of lettuce at the store today, so it’s back on the wagon tomorrow. DH is working all day, so I may get a respite from Mexican food.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Time to catch up on all the TV shows from last week!

No comments: