Thursday, June 7, 2007

Dr. Drill Motivates from Afar

Not for bootcamp. But for the triathlon.

Jynell of 31 More Days! fame responded to my “Am I Crazy” post about doing a sprint triathlon again in September. I came up with a million and one reasons NOT to do it, but Jynell encouraged me to keep it in mind despite all those reasons. It took me a few days, but she was right to question me. My reasons weren’t justified– they were excuses. So today, I got in contact with the training group and now all I need to do is pick a race! I’m just bouncing off the walls with excitement at this point– there is absolutely nothing in the world that’s as invigorating as finishing a triathlon. When everyone has said you’d never stick with it and doubts you can finish….there you are, and everyone is cheering and you’ve pushed yourself to your limits! I absolute cannot wait to feel it again.

So, which one do I do? The Santa Barbara Super Sprint is in mid-August: 500 yard swim (open ocean), 6 mile bike, and 2 mile run. It’s 2 hours away from me and I’d probably have to make a weekend out of it, since packet pickup is on Friday and the race is on Sunday. My 10-Year high school reunion is the week before, which may also be a factor. Choice number two is the Pacific Coast Triathlon: 1/2 mile swim (open ocean — 850 yards), 12 mile bike, and 3 mile run, over a very hilly course. It’s the 2nd week in September, with a longer training session. It’s close to my house, though, so I’ll be able to practice over the course.

The good thing is my training group provides coaching for BOTH triathlons, and I can train for the Pacific and also do the Santa Barbara as a warmup. So, what should I do? Do I push myself to do a longer swim than I’ve ever done in open water? Do I do Santa Barbara, even though it’s far away? Will I feel like a copout because I’ve chosen to do the weeny triathlon and not the full-blown sprint? Will my husband kill me when he finds out I need new running shoes and probably a wetsuit so I don’t drown?

Good eating day, if I can stay away from food tonight. I have a 5am wake-up tomorrow for a flight to San Fran, so at least that’ll serve as a sufficient appetite suppressant. Of course no exercise, but I’ll be taking care of that in short order!

You know what’s funny is that I was thinking about the irony of my not being able to have it all. If I am in awesome shape, my body clings to it’s current weight and sometimes gains weight. If I stop exercising, my body allows me to lose weight. When I was asking myself today if I’d feel better about myself if I was training for a triathlon or back down to the 140’s, I whole-heartedly chose the triathlon training. I COULD be comfortable with my weight if I felt like I was in solid shape and my body looked it. Maybe that is what I finally need to be happy with myself?
Food Points
Coffeemate creamer with coffee 2
1 small apple 1
2 small bananas 2
(4 hour separation — I refuse to call them 2 pts each, they were small!)
1 Light n’ Fit yogurt with handful raspberries and 1/2 cup Fiber One 2
1 cup ground beef with lettuce and 1 taco shell 5
Hostess 100 calorie pack 1
2 Wasa Crisps with a laughing cow light wedge 2
2 cups brown rice with ICBINB 6
1 Thomas’ Light English muffin with ICBINB spray 1

Totals 22

No comments: