Monday, July 23, 2007

I'm Injured!

Well, it's not so bad as it sounds. But I've done a job on my rotator cuff with my mangled swim stroke. Coach let me meet her at the pool after a lesson today to take a peak at the stroke and see if there was anything she could do to set me on the straight and narrow. Low and behold, after 50 meters of watching, she identified the shoulder (left!) and then proceeded to tell me exactly what I was doing wrong and what drills I could work on to fix it. We did a few in the pool, and they felt fantastic. Woohoo! But she said that was enough for now and to go home and ice. So here I sit, typing away in some pain (but it's totally tolerable), with a bag of frozen vegetables on my shoulder.

The good news is that I got my bike back! Shop boy says it works great, but I can't expect much from the front derailleur because it is the bottom of the line. (Honestly, you'd think for $700 you'd get something better than the bottom of the barrel, but that's a topic for another day) Anyways, looking forward to putting some miles on that puppy!

Some of you have asked about the knee. It's OK. I've done lots of reading, and my knee is pretty common. It's sometimes called "Runner's Knee," and everyone seems to get it. Pain and swelling under the knee cap....feel it more going down stairs or downhill as opposed to going up. Harder to straighten and bear weight than to stand and bear weight. Fortunately, mine has stayed pretty manageable. It might feel a bit wonky after a hard run, but with ice, it doesn't ever get the shooting pains or the horrid swelling from a year and a half ago. I've been reading Runner's World online and they have some awesome pictoral IT band stretches that I've been trying to incorporate while drying my hair in the mornings and getting ready for bed at night. Trying to be efficient, ya know? (Except I almost fell down doing squats and curling my hair yesterday morning and DH woke up from a sound sleep!)

T minus 5 days and counting til' the dreaded first open water swim in the ocean. Ah!! Fresh on the heels of a sewage spill. I can feel the excitement already.

You girls and your jungle sex are way too much to handle. I love it!!! Is it harsh for me to admit that I much prefer getting on Blogspot and getting a good laugh these days? It's tough work maintaining 2 blogs, but you guys rock. And I like that I can write about exercise and I'm not a freak. And look at how many doing C25Ks!!! That is so awesome. I shall now proceed to convince each and every one of you to do a triathlon by this time next year.

Well, time for bed. Hopefully the cat behaves tonight so I can get some good shut eye! Little bugger....love him to death, but he's an only cat and if we don't run his orange booty off before bed, he is sometimes an early riser. ;)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Sorry you are injured, but at least coach figured out what was wrong and told you how to correct it. I hope you feel better soon!!!

I can't swim...well I can keep myself up and float and tread water, but that's it. I can't swim for a competition so I won't be doing a trialathon anytime soon. Heck, running is new to me! :) I admire your dedication to your training. You're awesome!!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that your knee is holding up pretty well and that your trainer is helping get your shoulder back to rights.

I am loving CP25K. I will be doing a 5K in September, but I don't think you will convince me to do a trialathon. The whole swimming thing isn't my thing. I'll play in the water..but I am not a strong swimmer. So maybe by this time next year I'll be ding a half marathon!! WOW...that is so odd to type! I love reading your blog!!! Keep up that hard work girl!

Anonymous said...

I'm doing a 5K in October (Autism Ribbon Run in Raleigh, NC), and of course I have serious triathalon envy, but I am really scared of the ocean! Maybe someday...

Glad to hear the knee is doing OK & hopefully the shoulder will ease off now that you got that figured out.

I am so proud of you for all the training!!
-Chris