Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Aftermath of a very bad dinner

This morning started out early, and not so promising. Our celebratory Ruth's Chris meal didn't sit too well last night, and I felt like it might even be difficult to MAKE IT to my run practise down the road. Quick side note here: if you want to lose weight, do not, under any circumstance, go to Ruth's Chris. Holy cow-- can you say butter?! Butter is one of my lovely IBS triggers, and although I specifically requested none on my plate, I swear the essence of it was enough to upset me. ;) DH's steak was swimming in a pool of butter, and the butter was pooling in the mashed potatos he ordered. Really, truly quite foul.

Moving along...... I made it to practice, and we had a great session on heart rate training. Then she sent the Olympians (they are the crazy ones doing 1 mile swim, 26 mile bike, and 6 mile run) to do their 5 mile workout while the rest of us opted to do a more manageable 3 miles. Although hurting for certain in the tummy department and having to hit the porta-potty while everyone started, I managed to pass most of the women before the mile and a half marker, and I finished 3rd or 4th in the end with the 3 miles in 29 minutes and 32 seconds--- a personal best! I should eat Ruth's Chris more often, you're thinking. ;) At any rate, I was super excited because I broke the 10 minute mile barrier for the first time ever, and I didn't feel like death warmed over in the end. Just think, a little over a month and a half ago I felt like I was going to collapse after a mile and a half! I heart me some walk-run.

So, the non-runner didn't do so bad. I'm happy. New gorgeous bike is in the shop, getting a souped up tune-up so that I can shift out of 1st gear without trouble. In the meantime, I think I'll suffer through my mountain bike a few more rides. It appears that the biking is getting the shaft in my training so far, so it's time for me to step it up and get out there some more. I can't keep swimming so much, as I'm not really that bad at it.

All the girls are doing the Solana Beach Triathlon next Sunday, and a part of me really wishes I'd had the nerve to sign up. Unfortunately, I'm still slightly petrified of this open water swim and one day of practice (next Saturday-- the horror!) isn't going to do it for me. So on the sidelines I shall stay until September. I'm getting nervous already!

Now I have to shower up and go enjoy the rest of my weekend. Performance Bike shopping spree, anyone? ;)

2 comments:

Jynell said...

I am so jealous.... I wish I had the guts to train for a triathlon! Of all the physical things I do- running, biking & swimming would be my 3 least favorite/worst events. I just don't think I could ever do it. BUT, I am so excited & proud of you!!! Your running time is awesome- & even with a late start & a belly full of steak you almost came in first!! WOW!!! :D (I LOVE RC btw... we're going for hubby bday in September!) :D Keep up the hard work- you're doing GREAT!!!

Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration to me! I have signed up to do a 5k in October - nothing compared to a triathalon, but a big step for me! Keep up the good work...
-Chris

BTW - how's the knee doing? I'm figuring a little better...(crossing fingers)