Monday, May 21, 2007

Danger! Cooking in Progress....

I’m not joking when I say dinner will be served at the sound of the smoke alarm. I may be a smarty pants when it comes to financial analysis, but I’m a D student in the kitchen. I’m currently attempting to make a WW quiche, courtesy of a slightly mangled recipe I found in the depths of the internet. I’ve never made a quiche before, so this could turn out to be 1 disgusting meal. (I have a backup plan, though– barbecue pork from Trader Jo’s) Here’s what I did with the recipe, which totals 17.6 points and probably 4 larger servings at 4.5 points a piece…but seriously, don’t hold me to the points because I don’t have the recipe builder and was only using a pen and paper:
1/2 cup chopped onions
3/4 bag of baby spinach
1 tsp salt, pepper
1 cube of basil (TJ’s has these frozen cubes that equal 1 tsp chopped)
1 1/2 cups 1% milk
3/4 cup reduced fat Bisquick
3/4 cup Eggbeaters
3 ounces mozzarella
2 very thin slices of proscuitto
You spray an 11 x 17 pan with non-stick, layer the proscuitto, spinach, onion, all the cheese, onion, and spinach into the pan. In a seperate bowl, mix the milk, egg, Bisquick, salt, pepper, and basil together (original recipe recommended blending, but I was too lazy for that). Then add to the pan and bake for 45 minutes at 400 F.
I will let you know how this one goes and update my day later on tonight.
UPDATE: SCORE!!! This is a good one. Soooo yummy. Make sure you cook it all the way, though. I got hungry and pulled it out at 40 minutes….it definitely needed 45-50 in my oven. Also, 2 layers of spinach wasn’t so smooth. The top layer didn’t get covered in egg and burned a little bit. Otherwise, fabulous. I’m so proud! UPDATE OVER
As for the weekend, well, suffice it to say I ate everything in site in my house. Thankfully, that only equated to a few bananas and 2 packs of Hostess 100 calorie cupcakes, but I was still hurtin’ for certain this morning and up a lb. Chinese food for lunch today probably didn’t help, but I’m hoping my quiche will redeem me!

No comments: