Saturday, September 22, 2007

Rain and Harbors

I should be rejoicing because it's finally raining after a summer of drought. The snails are happy. The weather is cooler. But tomorrow morning is the Long Beach Triathlon, and I shudder to think what the water quality is like in Long Beach Harbor!!! Fortunately for me, I'm not the swim anchor in our relay, but it still makes me feel all gross just thinking about what's been swept into the water. :) I guess it's a possibility that they turn tomorrow into a duathlon, which stinks because my two lovely relay partners aren't the fastest runners in the world so there'll be lots of stress on me to put in the best bike ever.

I've been haunted by the results from last year, wondering how in the heck I'm going to bike the 11 miles in 36 minutes. That's not even a competitive time, either.....just slightly better than average. I really need to chill out.

Hubby is home, but leaving in an hour. He has one last shot to make it--- one shot more than 1/2 of his class, who have already been sent home and removed from training. It's a hard time for us, but I know we'll get through this and eventually he'll be sitting in the right seat of a passenger jet. It just might not be in 3 weeks! We had a good visit, though, and I ate like a pig. I tell you what, I certainly have enough excess calories on board to fuel a 36-minute bike leg.

I am lazy, though. I was supposed to go to a brick this morning at the Lake.....a swim-run, or swim-bike, or all three if you were feeling particularly ambitious. I got all ready to go at 7:30am and then just sat at home, thinking about how cold it is out there and how it didn't want to stop raining. I'm now planning on hitting the gym on the way back from the airport, but we'll see where that takes me. Why must I be so tired and lazy?!

So that's the scoop. Not much of it, to be truthful! Good luck to Melanie in her 5K this weekend--- I know she'll have a blast and will be in awe of how easily she did the distance.

No comments: