Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Pest

I thought that after 3 weeks, things were definitely going far too well on the knee front. I'd saved plenty of money by not going to physical therapy 2-3 times a week. I sit in bed and do my inner thigh strengthening exercises every single night. I'm a stretching fiend and make sure not to run more than 2 days a week.

And yet the phantom pains are returning.

The pulling. The weird under-the-kneecap pain. That feeling of "oh crap, I should probably lower my resistance" when I'm biking because I'm trying to "honor" my body.

When does this crap end? I've had it! I'll be lucky to make it to San Diego with this frickin' knee setup that I have.

Went to spinning tonight, because I needed a good 45 minute - 1 hour ride and didn't get out of work early enough to ride outside. I haven't been to class in months, so it was kind of fun to see how improved my fitness is. (And how much sweatier I am in class!) I can push much higher resistance, and I can stay with the instructor the entire time while kicking my own rear. I felt like I owned that class! (OK, until the last song when the knee pulled a little and I decided to spin nice and easy) I have to think that spin class is a good trainer for getting out on the road. Hopefully it's good enough for Long Beach. I'm definitely doing the bike, so today was my last "hard" bike before the relay. Torture is now reserved for the swim, which I'll be working on tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday. Time to devote some time to my non-rotating stroke!

I ate white cake today. My admin had to buy the birthday cake for the office and she went all over time finding white on white --- my favorite. I just couldn't resist! I stayed on program for breakfast and lunch, and even my dinner was responsible.....but I just needed the cake. I figure it was 500 calories, but I burned about 790 in class, so it was a tradeoff I was willing to make.

I was accused of losing weight yesterday. One of the guys at work, who is a cyclist, had lunch with me and asked me how much weight I'd lost since I started training. I told him the truth --- nothing! He proceeded to repeat the question 3 times and then said I was lying. I suppose it should be a compliment. But I'm 151 lbs......and most of it is pretty frickin' solid! Yeah, I have the tummy issues, but it's slowly taking care of itself. So if I'm 151 lbs and people think I weigh less, I'll take it. My size 6's still fit fine....in fact, the pants fit better than ever. I have some trouble with tops, but only in the shoulder and upper back area. It's crazy how everything just readjusts. This is a common trait in our training group, too. Lots of women haven't lost any weight at all, but looking at their June photos vs. now, you'd swear they'd dropped a ton of weight. Muscle weighs as much as fat, but it's more dense......case in point-- my fellow Divas!

Anyway, that's enough of weight for the evening. I'm headed to bed. DH is still having a really rough time in training, so he can use all the good thoughts you can muster!!! (Actually, I need them more than him. I want him to make it through training so desperately.....it kills me! I've been nauseous for 2 whole weeks since he's been teetering on the edge of failure.....please, please send good thoughts here.....I need them!!!) :)

(I also need to delete a few exclamation points, but I felt the need to exaggerate my desperation)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I can't believe you are a size 6. That's awesome!!! You may not have lost any weight, but you are definitely tighter and firmer. You need to post some more pics :)

You have all the good thoughts I can send for your DH. He will be fine, I just know it!!!

Anonymous said...

It just goes to show what a crock BMI is! With your level of muscle, 151 is perfectly healthy...but when you go by a number only, it's not a true picture. I hope the knee issues get worked out soon and I am sending good vibes for you & DH!
-Chris