Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Can we just get this over with?

I vote that we skip peak week and go right to the race. My tummy is more nervous than you can possibly imagine and I just want to get it over with!

In true freakshow fashion, I've checked out all of the girls in my age group on Athlinks. I know that there are a handful that will surely kick my rear so bad I will question why I have chosen the sport. There are a few who can give me a run for my money in the sprint department (same races, close results). There are some freakishly fast marathon and half marathon runners who I hope will sink in the Lake, but I am sure they will join the ranks of those who will slaughter me. There are even a few slowpokes who are PAINFULLY slow according to their race results....consistently, painfully slow.....and I know that I won't be last. (important) And then there are TONS and TONS of women who have no race history at all. No 5K. No 10K. No bike race. No tri. Nada. So who knows what their stories are?!

Did researching all these women make me feel better about the race?

Absolutely not. Because this race, unlike my sprints, isn't really about them. It's about me. This is my journey. This is me proving something to myself. Maybe next year I'll worry about beating them.

Things are coming into place, though. Hip flexors are great-- my McTherapist came through and worked magic on them. I did a 2000 meter swim tonight that was alternating 100's between race pace and all out effort, on the 2:00....and I could have made them on the 1:50. Yes, I was PSYCHED. 12 weeks ago, I couldn't make it to 1000 meters on the 2:00. So this is a big deal to me. I ran 6.25 miles on Sunday, proving to myself I could definitely make the distance. And my bike is coming along. We did a brick after a really tough 1:44 ride, and I was able to comfortably run 3 miles without any pain.

I'm ready!! April 12th, hurry up..........I'd like to be able to incorporate acidic foods back into my diet again without them burning a hole in my tummy.

:)

2 comments:

SixTwoThree said...

Hmmm, sounds like me last week! (Sans the Athlinks perusal.) Yup, it's about you and taking stalk in your own growth. Think of everyone else there as extras in your own autobiographical film. It's going to be a fun adventure! I'll make you feel alive. Even if you're a little too charged up right now. My theory is first races of the season bring out the worst cases of pre-race jitters.

Unknown said...

You are so ready for this and you are going to do great!! I can't even imagine what you have gone through during training but just reading about it inspires me!! You ROCK and I can't wait to see pics of you crossing the finish line.


(((HUGS)))