Saturday, April 5, 2008

Progress....it's a good thing

I'm happy to report that DH is now gainfully employed and his first day on the job is Monday. This is momentous, as it's his first non-aviation job since college, and he actually has to wear a suit and tie to work. YES!!! This is fabulous for me, because now he looks hot ALL of the time. The downside, of course, is that I have to purchase this wardrobe with my lovely bankroll. I would much rather take $1000 and buy new trishorts, a new helmet, enter a few races, take a vacation......but I suppose this is a small price to pay for a new career and a chance at creating a "fall back." He'll probably still go into the whole pilot thing, but his new job (with MY company!) should fund his flying habit a bit better than unemployment. So I am pleased to report this progress in his life.

My work life? Eh, not so fabulous. Hard to do huge mixed use real estate projects when the funding is so limited out there. So I am working with the apartment side, but not managing anything of my own and feeling like I'm not exactly mission critical. I LOVE being mission critical, so this is stressing me out beyond words. Can't say there's been progress in this area of my life.

Peak week has revealed personal bests with every workout. Wednesday evening, it was 20 sets of 100's in the pool, on the 2:00, alternating between all out effort and race pace. Up until the very end, I was seeing 1:45 and was SO happy to see that it was sustainable. I may not be the best swimmer in the world, but I am seeing a wee bit o' progress in the pool.

Thursday saw a brick workout-- 1/2 hour of race pace bike followed by 1/2 hour of race pace running. I did a set of hill repeats for the bike, beating my personal best time up that hill on BOTH repeats. Then I knocked out my fastest 5K time ever and felt like I had plenty more to give. Yes, was sore and beat and had to take Friday off, but it was exciting to see the progress.

And this morning.....I did the same Canyon bike loop that I've been doing for a month, followed by a quick 10 minute run. I beat my best loop time by 8 minutes, even with 30 billion Team In Training people clogging the bike lane. (Love them, just not this morning-- I felt like I was in a race, but there were horrible cars everywhere!) I'm psyched.....progress, progress, progress. I may actually finish this race in a somewhat decent time. (Publicly aiming for 3:20...if I take longer than that, I will shoot myself)

So that is my update. I'm not exactly going for volume in peak week.....just hard effort and personal bests. Tomorrow is my 7-mile run, and then I am on taper until Saturday, when I join the ranks of 1000 other women and hit the Lake Las Vegas race course. I get to share the race course with the likes of Sam McGlone and Mirinda Carfrae -- -2 pros who will surely give us some serious speed envy --- I'm psyched!

So overall, I guess you could say I am making progress in life. It's painfully slow, but I'm getting there.....

2 comments:

SixTwoThree said...

Way to go on those 20 100's on the 2:00. That's HUGE! And if you don't break 3:20 - you can try again in July at Camp Pendleton - hint, hint, hint. Wouldn't be that shameful to go over 3:20 in an Olympic!!

Amanda said...

That's AWESOME that DH has a job! I, too, love my DH in a suit. :) Actually, I like almost any man in a suit. :) Or a uniform. LOL!!!

Hang in there this week-I'll be thinking of ya! Can't wait to hear all about the race.