Thursday, March 27, 2008

T Minus 16 Days

Yes, just 16 more days until I start to address other topics in life other than my injuries and trepidation regarding the Iron Girl race. Until then, you'd best be believing I'm going to milk this for all it's worth.

So, my lovely, miserable, tight, heinous hip flexors are proving to be quite an issue these days. I gave them 8 whole days off from running and kicking (but not cycling-- can't stop that), so last night I decided, in my infinite wisdom, to partake in my team's track workout. OK, let me stop here. No, I am not so stupid that I did the workout with them. I just casually ran around the dirt track, walking around the ends for an entire hour with my very good friend and mentor, who happens to be on taper for CA 70.3 on Saturday. At any rate, I had a lovely time minus the slight pulls from the hip flexors. Managed to add 4.37 miles of volume into these legs last night, which I think is infinitely better than zero. And am I worse for wear? Well, maybe a little tighter than normal, but I brought my ice pack to work so I am working diligently on minimizing any damage. On Sunday, I'm going to attempt to walk-run the full 6 miles after my swim set. I need to get over this mental barrier, even if there's walking involved.

In the interim, I'm booking physical therapy AND ART massage to help counter the pain. I've heard of miracles from these people, so I am putting them to the test!

On Saturday, my dear blogger friend SixTwoThreeTries, my coach, my BT mentor and mentor groupee, and my good friend Denise and her hubby are doing CA 70.3. A HALF IRONMAN. Yes, I bow down to you. All of you. And I intend to show up around the bike-run transition time (sorry, must do a long bike before I go down to Oceanside) with POSTERS. So if you can think of anything fun or motivational that will help you get across the finish line, let me know and I'm happy to do some arts and crafts for you. I was thinking I'd ask my coach how her butt was feeling after 58 miles, but I may try to keep it PG.

So that's how I'm putting IronGirl into perspective. It's nothing compared to the Half Ironman, so I shouldn't worry too much. And coach says that even if I walk the run, I'll still finish before most of the girls on my team. (She's just trying to make me feel good about myself because she knows I am beat down) So there. Am calming myself down RIGHT NOW!

So, good luck to all my pals on Saturday. I shall be with you in spirit at the swim start, but certainly by the time you get to that run, I'll be out there cheering for you! Stay warm. :)

2 comments:

SixTwoThree said...

You are TOO SWEET! Okay for signs, "Go IronMinnow" or "Go 623" will work great for me. It'll be great to see you out there. And if you see Martha's Mom, tell her I'll be in an Operation Rebound uniform, not an OC Tri uniform. I'll be looking for you both out there! BTW, I'm totally nearsighted. You WILL see me first:-)

Unknown said...

I don't know about half marathons...right now I just want to focus on the weight loss. Well that and then getting prego in a couple months. So that 1/2 marathon might have to wait!!!