Wednesday, June 25, 2008

New Recruits

I'm getting ready to head to Denver in a few hours to visit my family, and I'm definitely excited to be going. It's been 6 months since I've been home, and in that time, a lot has happened! My dad has gotten a new job after retirement. My sister got her Captain wings. My other sister took a new job. And my mother has dropped 22 lbs on Weight Watchers and has found new energy and new life. I can't wait to see how they are all doing.

To top this brief visit off, I will be doing the Danskin Denver sprint tri relay with my Mom and sister on Sunday. I reluctantly agreed to swim, seeing as how I have no shame in a bathing suit these days, while my mom is biking and sister is running. Mom walks the dog on a hilly 3-mile hike every day, but she didn't touch her bike until last week, when she went apesh*t (pardon my French, but it's serious here) and went on (3) 14-mile bike rides in a row. She's still sore and tired, but I'm pleased to say she is alive. Suffice it to say her 10-mile bike will surely be painful to endure, but hopefully it won't take her too long and she'll enjoy herself out there. Little sister is running the 5K. She's been diligent in her training, although she's had some difficulties with asthma and has finally turned a corner with her new inhaler. This is the sister that watched me do Pacific Coast last year. I'm trying to calm her down about Danskin, telling her that the atmosphere is far more relaxed than Pacific Coast, but she is still a nervous wreck.

So my hopes for this trip are a bit selfish. I hope to motivate my mother to continue down this new healthy lifestyle path and to become more involved in sports.....and I want my sisters to become addicted to triathlon so that when I finally move home, I'll get some training partners!

At any rate, I'm out for a few days. Will post the race report on Monday!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh how exciting!!! That is great for your mom and your sisters!!! What a great trip! Can't wait to hear about it when you get back!

Michelle said...

Sounds like fun! The best part of my getting in shape these days has been inspiring my loved ones to get moving too. You've made incredible progress, good job!

Michelle
http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com