Thursday, June 5, 2008

Distractions

I've been negligent on this blog for a few weeks now. I'm not quite sure why, but I suppose a lot has to do with the fact that I'm just not terribly interesting. I'm not training for something exciting like an Ironman. I'm just boring old me.....and even that bores me at times.

This past week has been pretty distracting. I turned another year older and hubby and I celebrated our second wedding anniversary. Along with those celebrations came a cake binge eating weekend and a night of fondue excess. Seriously, you could roll me through my next triathlon at this point.

I've been taking 2 days off a week, which makes me feel more lazy than anything else. I'm just having trouble keeping the aches and pains away. I don't like to work through them, but it takes me two days to recover from a swim, 2 days to recover from hill repeats on the bike, 3 days from a long run.... Well, you get the point. I'm barely still functioning, and I have to baby this big ol' body of mine.

Tonight, I was supposed to do a 5 mile trail run race. But my training plan called for 4 aerobic miles...... Since I know myself and know that I cannot be memorialized forever as slow because I did a race in my aerobic zone, I opted to run on a local trail closer to home....for free. And I sucked big time. It was good for the first two miles, and then I turned around and it all went to hell. Hip flexors ached, my heart rate skyrocketed, and I just could not settle. All I wanted to do was cry!! It's been so long since I've had a horrid run like this-- I suppose I was due for one with all my recent breakthroughs. But why now?? Argh. I'm just going to try to forget about it and blame it on the sodium overkill from my lunch of tortilla soup at a horrid local Mexican restaurant.

Saturday, I have been asked to substitute for a team member in the Camp Pendleton Mud Run. It's a 10K, with obstacles I've only seen in Full Metal Jacket. Oh, and hot marines to hose you off. While I can deal with the latter, I'm quite frankly a little concerned about the rest of it!! But my team has a weaker link than I, so hopefully that means we'll just keep chugging along and it won't be too difficult. I suppose I am actually more concerned with what to wear. Our "uniform" is a puffy-painted wife beater and men's underwear. Yeah, you tell me how that's going to stay on in the mud run. :)

Next Sunday is the Danskin Disneyland race. I'm psyched about this, because the distances appear to be getting shorter and shorter!! 0.3 mile swim, 10 mile bike, and a 2.1 mile run (if I measured it correctly)......turn and burn, baby! All I have to do is stay healthy and I think it'll be an amazingly fun race. It'll be my first Danskin, but my fourth women's race. Again, stay tuned. That will be a great story to tell. (Don't get me started on the 6am start time)

I'm spending all next week in Atlanta, so I am on a personal quest to find a lap pool in Buckhead. Since my boss won't spring for the JW Marriott, I'm thinking YMCA...... That, again, shall also be an adventure. But at least next week is "aerobic." Easy peasy!

So, those are my distractions. Reasonable excuses for laziness, right? OK, maybe not. But it's all I got.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

The Disneyland race sounds neat! Can't wait to hear about it. Have fun in Atlanta!

And happy birthday AND happy anniversary! WOO!!

SixTwoThree said...

How was the Mud Run? I'm doing the one that is this Saturday. Really looking forward to it!