Monday, February 18, 2008

Happy President's Day

I would just like to take this time to thank the past Presidents for their service to our country, and for giving me this wonderful, sacred, well-earned, BEAUTIFUL day off from work.

I not only got to sleep in this morning, but I made myself TWO (count 'em!) pots of coffee this morning, which I leisurely sipped while catching up on my "internets" stuff. Yep, it's a good thing.

I'm sore this morning, but I suppose that means I've been working hard. I earned my respite. DH wanted to head down to some museum in San Diego today, but I put my foot down. I'm tired! I need some quiet time.

Yesterday was another lovely team practice. I took the Buff out with several of the Olympic-distance girls from last season (the ones I looked up to and chased all of last fall when I thought I was the shiz....boy, was I in for a rude awakening!), and we rode 3 loops of this neighborhood trail that required just a wee bit of maneuvering around toddler-powered Hot Wheels. We took turns leading the pack, and this was a total blast. I almost wished we could have gone longer-- it was that much fun to turn and burn with the group. I'm a bit disappointed in my speed (I'm no longer pulling 18mph minimum, according to my Garmin), but this is a neighborhood trail and we were stopping every 3 miles to regroup and turn around....and there was plenty of braking to deal with roadblocks. But still, excuses. I need to get faster. We did 19 miles yesterday, then went off and did a 30 minute run....except I opted to just do a quick 1-mile off the bike and call it a day because of those tender knees. They feel fantastic after I get off the bike, but then I get home and they start yelling at me. They are tricky like that--- never giving me any indication of when I am hurting them. It's like a game, I suppose.

Anyway, what a fun workout. I was invigorated for most of the day, and proceeded to gorge myself on food as well. This is definitely something I am noticing that's becoming a BAD trend. Workouts lasting longer than 45 minutes to an hour result in me wanting to eat myself into oblivion. I even went into Trader Joe's and bought a tub of Cat Cookie ginger snaps. What is up with that? Must get this under control or else I'll need a girdle. Rock hard legs, but a barrel of FAT around my vital organs. Ugh.

Today, I am on a quest for a new sports bra. It's a sensitive topic in the girl world, but chafing is a bitch. I never had this problem before, as I'd never run more than a 1/2 hour at the time, but the girls are starting to hate me. My husband finds this entertaining. Yesterday, at Road Runner, he thought it would be funny to throw "Nip Guards" into conversation at every chance he could find. He was slapped silly yesterday.....why would I ever publicly buy something like that? It's worse than tampons or yeast infection medication!!! (He's bought both, but he refuses to buy the Nip Guards---seriously, who calls their product something so embarassing?!) My Under Armour selection did not fit (they must figure that Large women have "A" boobs or no back muscles-- they are sadly mistaken), so now I am back to square 1. I hear Lycra is evil. My Body Glide isn't doing the trick. I am desperate. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Nip guards are for the boys. If you're chafing there, you have entirely too much movement going on, so likely a bad fit. Time for a different bra.

I'm a fan of Moving Comfort bras, especially the Fiona version, especially since I lean towards the broader side. I would also look on Title IX -- they have many different kinds to review and a useful system to differentiate between what each one offers.

Good luck with it!

Unknown said...

i have a moving comfort bra - i think it's the lila (which is the decorated version of the sydney or melbourne, i think). it was a fluke buy at rei during one of their sales, but i love how it fits.

there's another one that people one the larger size like - oprah featured it, but i don't remember the name of it - but i think it was one w/the hook clasps...i prefer the pull over no hook, myself.