Saturday, January 26, 2008

Time -- Where Have You Been?

Certainly not with me this week. In fact, it seems that every second of my life has been planned for five days now, and I'm wound up so tight you could probably snap me! What gets the shaft when work makes me this busy? Training.

Ugh. This week was a massive failure in the training department. I was supposed to do 2 swims, an hour spin, a long run, and a bike/run brike....and all I've accomplished is a 1/2 hour spin on my trainer until I BROKE IT!!! Ugh. Last night, I made a huge deal at work about how they owed me an hour off early so I could swim in between work and my Annual Goal-Setting Meeting with the tri team. So I actually manage to leave around the right time, get to the gym, start undressing, and then realize -- I left my swimsuit at home!!! Of course, there was nothing else that could fit in the bag after all the towels, so no contingency plan there. I nearly cried, then left and went to my meeting early. You know when sometimes things just aren't going to work out for you, no matter how hard you try? Yeah, that was this week.

I just have to say to all those people who swear that work isn't an excuse to not exercising -- KISS MY ARSE! Swear to God, you don't have my job. You must not be very important at your job. Because if I had to get up at 4am to swim and then went to work and tried to work a full 9-11 hours, and my brain was fuzzy, my company could lose millions of dollars. It just does't work like that. Oh, and my two travel days. After getting up at 4:30am for a flight and then returning to the OC at 10pm, was I supposed to go straight to the pool in my exhausted state? When I spent the day in LA and fought LA traffic to get home at 7pm, was I supposed to change and go head to a spin class? How do these crazy people function? I'm spent at that point. (And having the broken trainer doesn't help-- that's about all I felt like doing on the second night) I know, this whole paragraph seems an awful lot like an attempt at legitimizing my busy week, but I'm just trying to calm myself down.

This morning, I'm going to head to the pool and knock out one of those pool workouts. And because tomorrow is forecasted to be a torrential downpour and we had a group bike ride scheduled, I'm going to take the bike ride this morning and save my long run for tomorrow, in the rain. I think. Coach saw me all defeated and upset last night and now I think she's wondering how in the heck she's going to get me ready for a HIM!

Well, the big news here is that our race in Lake Las Vegas, Iron Girl, is going to be televised on NBC! Holy crap! My first reaction was, "great, now I'll get caught on camera being fat and slow." At least I know I won't be a human interest story, although my all-female triathlon team, with 50+ girls from our county alone, will be a large contingent there so I'm sure I'll spot the uniforms on the telecast. But how cool that a non-pro (okay, I'm sure the pros will sign up now), non-IM even gets put on TV? Yes, it'll probably be at 3am on a Sunday in July, but who cares? I think it's great for the sport. If it gets America up and moving, it can't be all bad, even if I am fat and slow.

At least I'm doing something about the fat part. My coworker and I weighed in for the 3rd week in a row on Thursday morning at Weight Watchers! I am down 2.2 lbs overall, which is just fine with me because these are hard-earned pounds and even at this snail's pace, I could be below the Athena category by March. (Woohoo!!)

My sexy new bike, The Buff, has yet to have its maiden voyage, but hopefully today will be the day. I'm itching to get on it, but my Look pedals are a little hard to clip in and out of so that's the only part I'm not so excited about. I'd hook it up to the trainer, but....I broke the trainer..... Yeah, need to go buy one. Thank goodness for the government and its $600 tax refund. Can we say "hello Cycleops Fluid 2 part 2?!"

Wow- that's a lot of text. There's my update, world! Still fat. Slower. Completely frazzled. But I'm going to keep at it and hopefully something will fall into place.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

First of all--BREATHE!!!

Second of all--you are NOT FAT! Girl, you are so not fat! But I know you feel that way so I won't minimize it, but you look FANTASTIC!

Time will come for you. Don't sweat it--everyone has weeks like yours. Let's just hope this one is a better one for you!!!! :)

SixTwoThree said...

Ahhh, bitter party of one - see what happens when you're not getting those endorphins?! Yup, we all have weeks like that occasionally. If it turns into a regular thing, I suspect you'll train your body to be one of those unthinkable morning types that gets it done before work, knowing otherwise it won't happen at all. Catnaps in the car on your lunch hour help too. You're gonna have to get creative or you will turn into one of those too-busy-to-workout, my-job-is-more-important-than-my-health types. They're everywhere. And they're cranky. Don't go to the dark side girlie!