Sunday, January 6, 2008

Like Ripping off a Bandaid

I registered!

As of this morning, I am officially registered for the Iron Girl Olympic distance triathlon in Lake Las Vegas on April 12th. That's the goal, and I'm sticking to it.

Of course, now my stomach is in knots and I have no idea how I'll find the training time, but we'll see. Our training starts up again this week, so I'm starting my usual "how will I find the time?" freakout. But I will, because I put the money down for the race and I intend to do it. And I don't just want to finish, I want to perform to the best of my ability. So I am going to work hard to get there in that shape.

On the work front, I've been given an amazing opportunity to work with a woman I've become friends with over the past 2 years. She's my senior by two positions (a VP), and she is, in essence, a project manager. She takes land that is under contract and secured by the land acquisition guy, and she picks a team who will ultimately design and build whatever she can get approved and is appropriate for the site on the property. She goes through the entire zoning and entitlement process with the cities and communities. Although I may dread the latter, this is what I want to do in my career and being given the opportunity to work with her is a huge step in the right direction. I've been pigeon-holed as an analyst for so long because people trust me with numbers.....but this is not my life-long goal and I cannot wait to move along! In addition to this, I'm still spearheading a company-wide project with our underwriting models and I will continue to work on my San Francisco project, even though we are now selling it. I think I technically stay in the mixed use group, but with this VP, I'm working on apartments only.

So, that's the scoop. Big changes at work, and I registered for this distance that I never thought possible over a year ago.

Now I just need to do it and not disappoint myself.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Good for you for registering for the race! I can't wait to hear how you do in it b/c I know you are going to do AWESOME!!!

Can I ask what you do?? I am intrigued and curious. Wondering if it's some kind of design or architecture. :)

Roni said...

THAT IS TOO COOL!

Good luck!

Superjayman's Battle of the Bulge said...

Wow, IRON GIRL!!!! Good luck with the training!

Unknown said...

good for you for registering for the oly distance!!! i'm a bit hesitant (scared?) to register for my first sprint!!! i keep flip-flopping about (a) which one my first one will be and (b) how many i'll do this summer. but i may have talked myself into one in may - or rather, asked my parents if they wanted to come in town for that particular one! which means...i gotta get to the pool! :)