Thursday, January 31, 2008

Painful Progress

I've done more swimming lately than I ordinarily prefer to do, mainly because it's freezing and dark outside and I haven't replaced my trainer....but I digress. Swimming. I'm not a huge fan. Last season, I tweaked my shoulder a little bit and every time I swam, I ached for days. My knees hurt. I get really bored. I HATE having to push off the wall when I've had :10 seconds of rest after going all out. I hate the drills.....the awkwardness.....the humiliation of sinking.....swallowing all that gross water because I'm incapable of breathing and thinking about the drill all at the same time. Yes, you could say swimming is not my favorite sport.

To top it all off, I'm no longer the fastest in my group. Monday night, I got placed into lane #3 of 7. That's like, middle of the pack! Talk about disappointment. But I am trying to take it in stride....my new purpose in life is endurance, so while I may be sacrificing a wee bit of speed, I can go long and strong. Anyway, last night, I had a breakthrough! Even though I was a little bit sore and it was not certain WHICH lane I was actually swimming in since we had to circle swim, I managed to do my fastest 100 meter yet --- 1:40. Now, I know that isn't remarkable compared to what I did last season or what most good swimmers can do, but it was 5 seconds or so faster than Monday night......wowza! So I am still excited about that. Despite all my moaning, groaning, and aching, something is working. I'm regaining my fitness and perhaps my form is improving as well......it's awesome!

So my goal is to be in the fast lane sometime soon. And I'm going to keep humuliating myself and doing drills, because I think they might be working?

On a funnier note, the Cheeto has stayed on my triathlon team, despite my efforts to be rid of it forever! It found a new home off of Craigslist on Monday night. I had thought it was going to a man, but a girl showed up.....I didn't recognize her, she didn't mention my team, and she didn't question me when I went on and on about my team. So imagine my surprise when I got to practice last night and she was there! I thought our Coach was going to murder me, seeing as how she hates the Cheeto, but thankfully, I'm off the hook. Fingers crossed she likes it so I don't have to take it back. (Another reason why it would have been better to have it go elsewhere!)

If the rain stays away, Saturday will be my first real ride on the Buff. I already love looking at it-- I can just imagine how fun it will be to ride! Bring it.....:)

So there is my update. I've made time this week, and I'm getting to my April 12th race, slowly but surely.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was thinking the same thing today....why does exercise hurt so much!! I'm so sore today from my bootcamp! But way to go and stick with it! You will be in that fast lane in no time at all!!

:)