Monday, May 19, 2008

Ode to the Shoe Nerd

Well, we all have our people we turn to in times of crisis. You may have a McTherapist like me, who finds ways to heal you and get you to the starting line of your next race. Or perhaps you have a favorite butcher at the grocery store who cuts your ham slices "just so." Others may have a girl at the bookstore who always recommends the best reads for your next airplane ride.

I have the Shoe Nerd.

Now, I haven't been particularly nice to him in the past. He is a bit of a low talker, with not-so-stylish hair and a nerdy look about him. He is an expert in all things shoes, from materials to the way your feet sit in shoes. He eats, breathes, sleeps shoes and feet, something I really cannot appreciate because I hate feet. But I digress. The Shoe Nerd knows all, and he is the clutch dude when you are having problems with your legs and there is no other explanation but the shoes.
At the start of the season, I went to the Shoe Nerd to see if I was in the right shoe. I'm a Mizuno follower out of familiarity, but was willing to go through all the testing to see if I was wearing the right shoe. In the end, he sold me on the Asics Gel Kinsei, which I promptly returned to the store after finding the heel to be absolutely intolerable. His other recommended shoes just didn't seem comfortable to me, and I was so pissed about the Kinseis that I basically refused to listen to him and then told him I would buy the new version of my old shoe, the Wave Inspire. So I buy the Mizunos, happy that I trumped the Shoe Nerd and went with a stability shoe.

4 months and 130 miles later (i know, pathetic, but let's not go there), I have had more runner's knee issues, a hip flexor strain, and achilles tendonitis. Insanity! I've resorted to many McTherapist visits, and I've taken to resistance training at the gym. So with no other recourse but to stop running, I decided to go to the Shoe Nerd once more, except this time I was going to actually follow his advice.

Saturday, I went to the shoe store and the Shoe Nerd was there to help me. He was looking all smug, like somehow he remembered me and he knew that I would be back. I ran on the treadmill for him, and he commented on how much he liked my "forefoot strike" and my quick turnover as I nonchalantly hit "6" on the treadmill. He then examined my foot, practically drooling over my "beautiful high arches." (yeah, yeah--- I have sexy feet. But why am I creeped out?!) Then he informs me that I have way more shoes to choose from this time, and out comes the onslaught of Nikes, Brooks, Mizunos, New Balance, and Zoots. The Zoots were just for fun. He wanted to know if I wanted to have some shoe fun. Why not? So I guess I have one foot that is perfect, and one that slightly underpronates. I have to get a shoe with lots of cushioning to protect the knees. I loved the Zoots, but I felt like I was running barefoot and this body of mine needs a wee bit more cushioning. I also loved the Mizunos I tried on, but decided to swap brands and try something new.

So I ended up choosing the New Balance.....some long 4-digit number in my least favorite color.....and I also allowed him to talk me into the inserts, to support my sexy high arches. I think the Shoe Nerd loved that I said, "I will do whatever you tell me to do, just make sure it helps get rid of my pain." He must not get many women telling him to do whatever he wants with them.

2 days later, I am happy to report that every time I step into my new New Balances, I have a footgasm! The Shoe Nerd was on to something.....my first brick resulted in NO PAIN at all on the run. None!! The shoes are like buttah.

And for as creepy as the Shoe Nerd is, I have to admit, he does good feet....and he can do mine whenever he wants from here on out. Shoe nerd, I not only salute you.....I submit to you!

2 comments:

Leah said...

Ha! Funny post. I hate feet, too. But it sounds like you got some good kicks. Hope they work out!

Unknown said...

Good shoes are a must...i am in need of a new pair myself! Maybe I'll go shopping after school tomorrow!