Monday, September 28, 2009

Feeling left out

Thanks for the congrats, Amanda and Amelia and Leah! (My only readers...I post for you!) :)

So, the past few weeks have been discouraging. I've been nauseous all day long, particularly in the mornings, so I've been loathe to leave the house to exercise on the weekends. I've been reduced to 50 minutes at lunch on the spin bike or elliptical, a few times a week at work.....and one yoga class per week. Of course, it's regular yoga, so I'm skipping the ab work and also the twisting motions. Once the bump arrives, I fear that will be the end of regular yoga. We spend so much time on our tummies or bending over, I cannot imagine what I will end up doing to pass the time.

On top of feeling like crap, we close on our house on Wednesday AND have to move out by 5pm the same day. So I am a bit of a wreck, trying to pack everything up and place it in storage as an interim holding place. My stomach has been a huge impediment, as I've discovered round ligament pain....it totally prohibits me from lifting anything over 20 lbs. Talk about a bummer. I'm mad!

My rec center's schedule has been atrocious for swimming, so I haven't done any swimming since I volunteered at Tri for the Cure in early August. Thankfully, swimming comes back easily for me, so I'm not too concerned about starting it up later in pregnancy.

I'm still in denial, btw. I think I'll be like you, Leah. Detached until the end. I wish I wasn't, but somehow I still don't believe there's a baby in there. I've just gained 7 lbs for nothing. (Don't get me started on the weight gain....what the hell?!!!)

The prenatal care is also making me nuts. My uber conservative company has purposely excluded genetic testing from our maternity coverage, so the $700 NT scan which tells us our risk for Downs and other genetic disorders (and gives us the only ultrasound in between the Blob stage and the anatomy scan) is out of pocket!! I canceled the test. I can't spend that kind of money right now to be told I have a 1 in 1000 chance of having a kid with Downs. I'm thinking I'll wait until 15 weeks to get the Quad Screen blood test. But I'm still mad about the cost of the nT scan and intend to bitch about it to the Dr. next week when I go for my regular appointment.

I guess that's my update. I'm totally out of shape, too nauseous to work out in the mornings, and panicky that I'll never get back to the way I used to be. All my old friends did the OC Tri this past weekend, and I stared at the results page for an hour this morning, wondering where I would have been last year vs. how pathetic I would have been this year. (Heck, in my condition, I wouldn't have finished!) Pre-partum depression? Yeah, that's me. Or it's just me being stressed and hating the fact that I can't button any of my pants.

Why did I do this again?

Oh, so someone can afford to put me in the retirement home when I turn 90.

:)

3 comments:

Renee said...

Nah, you have more readers than that! Congratulations and I hope things get smoother for you!

Leah said...

Hang in there! It gets easier/better in the 2nd trimester. And contrary to what it feels like, pregnancy is not a permanent condition and eventually it will be just a tiny part of a much bigger (and better) history! I didn't do a stitch of exercise during my entire pregnancy. I was just so tired all the time!

Amanda said...

Once the 2nd trimester rolls around, you WILL feel like your old self--you'll just have this belly in the way. I promise! :) I don't think you have to do away with yoga once you get the bump but I may be wrong. Keep doing some kind of exercise--believe me you will be THRILLED afterwards that you can say "I exercised through my whole pregnancy." Whereas I didn't do one single thing. :)

Round ligament pain is THE WORST! I understand that and it's awful. I hope you get some relief soon from that pain...and that it doesn't move into sciatica. That's even worse than the round ligament pain. Baby can lay on your sciatic nerve and then NOT MOVE! That happened to me during pg #2 and it was awful. Oh and the weight gain--I immediately gained 10# with both of mine in the first month--seriously! And that's what I am still working on to get off!

Trust me...in the end it will all be worth it. And then you'll want to do it all over again for baby #2! :)