Monday, January 12, 2009

Base

Well, it's been a wacky start to the year! The cold from hell returned after a 2-week hiatus, relegating me to the tired, snotty, coughing laziness that I just recovered from. To spite it all, I decided to attend my last running program practice of the season. Coach had been wondering where I disappeared to....and really, there was no fever, so would it hurt me to at least show up and have a nice snotty walk?

So, I got up at 8am and headed over to the trail where I met up with a lot of familiar faces and Coach. I was equipped with many Kleenex, and bundled up to fight the cold. But it was great to be back!

I admitted that I hadn't done much over the past month, so she sent me off on an aerobic 4-miler. Rather than stare at my heart rate monitor the entire time, I decided to just go "easy" and enjoy the beautiful but chilly morning. I have to admit, I have a great time out there. Yes, I was slower than you could possibly imagine, but I was so happy I got out of bed and went for a run! By mile 2, I was really in my groove and decided to keep going....I was curious if I still had my 10K "base." ANd you know what? I got it! It's a few minutes slower than it should be (like, 8 minutes slower!), but I was sick, and it's been a month..... The good news was that absolutely nothing was sore, and I felt like a million bucks at the end. Woohoo!!! Last year at this time, I had lost my entire running base....starting at a 10K is just so refreshing at this point.

Season starts in a few weeks. I am bouncing off the walls, but I have lots to do. Must hit the pool a few times so that I don't get placed in a lower swim level than I should be. Also need a tune-up on my bike, new tires since my trainer is destroying my old ones, and also need to schedule a bike fit at some point in time. Combine all this with my personal coaching, and I am WAY over budget at this point. Need to do the tax return and beg for forgiveness, I think. ;)

Well, that is it for me. Still sick. But still hanging in there. 5430 Long Course, I'm coming to get you!

No comments: