Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

What a year it has been. Not a stellar one for blogging.....or triathlon....or weight loss for that matter, but a stellar one nonetheless.

A year ago today, DH and I were totally unaware of how our lives were going to change. We didn't think we had enough time in the day to do the things we did. I was complaining about being pregnant and "tired" all the time. We didn't care about our budget. We were coasting, I guess you could say. We stayed up until midnight to ring in the New Year -- in fact, I think we may have even gone out for dinner?

Not so much this past year. New Year's was spent nursing a sick baby, cooking dinner, and re-caulking the bathroom. I kid you not -- what a difference a year makes.

Last year we welcomed Derek into our lives, and he is a spitfire. We love him more and more every day, and each and every day is a new adventure that gives us interesting perspectives on the things we used to overlook or take for granted. We've become masters of multitasking. We've discovered patience where we never knew it existed. We've tested our relationship in more ways than we should and we still spring right back to eachother. We've experienced loss and we've also been a part of some healing. We've sacrificed hobbies, but we've also learned to balance and find joy in other tasks.

I've grown up a lot in the past year. My dreams now don't involve finish lines and being a svelte little athlete -- I'd like to reach those goals some day -- but they involve learning to walk, family camping and hiking trips, and the possibility of brothers and sisters. It's amazing what a year will do.

Next year, I'm setting a few goals that I hope I'll be able to keep. First is Weight Watchers-- I am determined to make it stick and get rid of this baby weight. I'd also like to find a way to fit my tri team into life, but also find enough time to spend it with Derek as he continues to grow up and learn every day. I'd like to be better about documenting his childhood....for so long I just wanted him to "grow up" and out of the infant stage, that I lost site of all the amazing changes that were happening within him. So I need to start writing more and taking more pictures. And I'm also reforming our budget. We're going to eliminate our student loan debt and our second mortgage within the next 4 years.....if we stay disciplined, we will set ourselves up to have a stellar future.

So with that, welcome 2011. I learned my lessons in 2010, so let me have some fun this year as I start to embrace this whole "Mom" thing, but to also let me keep the real Me. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What I do now is have the video camera on the kitchen counter at all times. Whenever the mood strikes, or when I see the kids doing some new thing and have a moment to film it, I grab the camera and record. When the tape is full I write the year on it and toss it in a box. That's about all I can manage right now for recording. Hopefully someday I'll pull out those tapes and write some notes to go with it but I'm not making any promises :)