Saturday, August 23, 2008

To race or not to race?

So, tomorrow morning is the Santa Barbara Super Sprint. It marks the anniversary of my first race as a Diva and serious triathlete. (more or less!) I did surprisingly well last year, so as you can imagine, the pressure is on to crush it this year as well.

Unfortunately, I have been at home for 3 whole days now with the crud. Fever and stomach aches. Nausea. Body Aches. I made it in for my last day of work, but all I managed to do was pack and then go home and sleep the rest of the day. I made it to my Diva going-away party, but I was practically catatonic on the car ride home and completely, tragically unable to eat my white-on-white celebratory cake. Truly, as you can see, this has been a tragic last week in paradise.

Hubby and I are leaving for Santa Barbara in an hour or so. I am hungry, yet I STILL cannot eat solid food yet. Chicken noodle didn't sit well last night. Ginger Ale is my lifesaver. The fever is managed with Tylenol. I just "sweat" a lot.

But in all honesty, if I get out of breath walking up the stairs, how am I going to swim, bike, and run, AND kick last year's time in the booty?

I'm very conflicted, but if had to make the call this morning, I'd have to pass. I'm hoping tomorrow it's a different story. This race just means so much-- I will be so angry if it doesn't work out.

Sorry for the vent.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Ooh, so frustrating. Some things aren't meant to be. It's probably better to sit this one out rather than force it and be disappointed if it doesn't meet expectations. But you can still be there and cheer for friends and enjoy the day!

SixTwoThree said...

Hey, if ever there were a race to miss, it's a super sprint. I know it's a bummer, but you are in no shape to race right now. It's not the Olympics. Try to enjoy your weekend in S.B. and enjoy the pressure being off. It's not like you trained all year for this one race. It's not your A race, remember? It's sentimental. But go buy some chalk and write some messages on the sidewalk for your buds. That'll make you feel involved and wear you out just enough to remind you that YOU'RE IN NO CONDITION TO RACE!